Wednesday, October 23, 2013

You are not alone...and neither am I.

Romans 8:12-16~
Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation--but it is not to the sinful nature to live according to it.  For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.  For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.  And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."  The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.  (underline added)

These verses have been hard for me to process lately.  You see, for years now, I have felt that God was trying to show me the way He sees me--whom He lovingly created and then graciously adopted as a believer, His daughter.  Because of His grace, my mistakes no longer condemn me.  To Him, I am His.  I am beautiful.

When I see myself, I see all the physical scars--the stretch marks and extra skin from pregnancies, scars from childhood falls, scars from my broken leg, etc.  I also see the emotional scars that the years on Earth have brought me--the unkind words, harsh teasing, loneliness at times, my own awkwardness and unkind words.  I see and feel the many mistakes I have made and the damage I have done to myself.  I see what years of an unhealthy lifestyle are reaping.  I feel the hurt and stress that lifestyle was covering up.  I chose the unhealthy foods and the lack of exercise.  I chose them over God.

But God has a funny way of using relationships in our lives to bring us back to Himself.  God uses the picture of the parent-child relationship in my own life to point out similarities in my relationship with Him.  As I love my children, He loves me--even more than I could fathom.  Just as I want the best for them, and thus set boundaries for them, so He does for me (and for all of us).  I have consequences to face when I cross those boundaries, just as my children do.

The consequences I face now for my poor choices are a body that is overweight and out of shape.  With God's help, I am beginning to change my habits and attitudes toward eating and exercising.  I am committing to making more wise decisions in those areas.  I have started exercising again and choosing better food options.  I am clinging to a few verses to help me through this process:

1 Corinthians 15:57~
But Thanks be to God, who gives us victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 8:9~
You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.

Romans 8:28~
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Galatians 2:20~
I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

If you are also facing consequences of your choices, please know that you are not alone.  I am praying for you.  Only God has the power to help you overcome your mistakes.

You are His creation and He loves you more than you can imagine.  Seek Him.  Turn away from the poor choices you are making.  Ask Him for forgiveness.  Then begin the work, with His help, to do better.   

We will never be perfect, but the more we rely on His help, God will change us over time to make more Christ-like choices and fewer poor choices.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this! God has been reminding me over and over again lately that it is He that will redeem all of my mistakes and choices and use them for His glory. The consequences I reap for unwise decisions only work to create more of a humility of heart and constant dependence upon Him. Thank you, Jesus, for bearing my burdens. Thank you, Holy Spirit, for helping me to walk through each day. Thank you, Father, for never giving up on me or leaving me. Oh, how He loves you and me!!

    ReplyDelete