Monday, October 14, 2013

It's time.


It's confession time...

For about a year and a half, I have felt God leading me to write a blog.  (I'll get to the "why" part in a minute.)  But I have been fearful and doubting - mainly in my own abilities.  I do not feel that I am particularly eloquent or wise enough to do this.  I actually feel awkward in communicating sometimes, especially in new or uncertain circumstances.  I often get mistaken for being quiet or reserved when meeting new people, mostly because I never know what to say.  Small talk makes me uncomfortable, so I do a lot more listening until I hear a cue that we have something in common.  And when I do find something to talk about, it usually doesn't sound as graceful coming out of my mouth as it did inside my head.

I have never been someone who was consistent in writing down my thoughts.  Even when I have written, it has generally been for myself or a select few.  I know this idea of a blog is from God because it would never have occurred to me to write my thoughts down for others to see.

All of that to say that for the past year and a half, in my not writing this blog, I have been disobedient to God out of my own fear and pride.  I am learning that this life is not about me.  God gives me breath and a purpose, each and every day I am on this Earth.  I have been convicted and have repented.  Now I am obeying.

So here's the "why"  I feel called to do this...

A Girl Called Barnabas

Have you ever read something about a person that clicked for you and you felt an instant connection?  Maybe you saw something in yourself that was similar, or they had a quality you admired.  For me, that person was a man called Barnabas   Let me tell you about him.  

Many years ago on Cyprus, a baby boy was born.  His mother named him Joseph.  He grew up to be a good man, full of the Holy Spirit.  Joseph was among the first people to sell some of his possessions to help the early Christians (the apostles).  Joseph became drawn to people who needed encouragement - so much so that the apostles nicknamed him Barnabas  which means "son of encouragement."

God used Barnabas as encouragement to Paul and Mark at crucial times in their lives when their missions could have failed.  It was Barnabas who agreed to meet with Paul after Paul became a follower of Christ.  Many Christians refused to meet with Paul shortly after his conversion because they thought he was tricking them.  He had been so hostile to the Christians before, that no one trusted him at first.  Barnabas risked his life to meet with Paul and then convince others that Paul's conversion was genuine.  Paul went on not only to become a missionary, but he wrote much of what we now call the New Testament.

Barnabas became a great help to many people.  He was such a great encourager to Christians, that whenever he was with them, non-Christians flocked to him.  Many people became Christ followers as a result.

God used the encouragement from Barnabas to change lives.  As I read about Barnabas when I was a teenager, I was fascinated by his life.  I loved reading (and still do) about how the seemingly small things can be used by God to make a huge impact on the world.  By all appearances, encouraging someone seems like a small, behind-the-scenes sort of thing to do.  God can use that small thing for His glory.  At the least, someone's day can be turned around.  At best, someone's life can be turned around.

Ever since I first heard about Barnabas  one of the biggest prayers over my own life has been for me to be used as an encourager.  My prayer for this blog is for it to be used as an encouragement to others.  

Acts 11:22b-24~
"...and they sent Barnabas to Antioch.  When he came and saw the grace of God, he was glad, and he encouraged them all to remain faithful to the Lord with steadfast purpose, for he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith.  And a great many people were added to the Lord."

1 Thessalonians 5:11~

"Therefore, encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing."

1 comment:

  1. Encouragement is so needed! Thank you for following the call of God on your life and taking the faith step to put your thoughts into words for others. I remember you speaking of this a little over a year ago. God is faithful! He has taken you through so much. Thanks for sharing your heart!!

    ReplyDelete